Monday - Day 1- Gym Tuesday - Day 2 - TinkerCad and 3D Printing Wednesday - Day 3 - Music & BAND Thursday - Day 4 - Gym Friday - Day 5 - Please bring headphones/buds as soon as possible. They are needed when using the chromebooks.
Suggestions for Parents to ask or do with Students
1. This week in math we will be continuing our Multiplication Unit. It would be a good idea to review multiplication facts. A good portion is on using strategies to solve questions. We are using ARRAYS for multiplying this week. Here is an example: If you know 5 x 8 equals 40 (five groups of eight), how can you solve 7 x 8? The focus for this week is 2digit x 2 digit multiplication.
40 plus 8 and then add another group of 8.
So 40 + 8 + 8. Five groups of eight plus two more groups of eight for a total of 54.
For the most part, this will follow Ch 6 of Nelson Math. Link is above.
Please continue practicing addition and subtraction. This will help with the multiplication and with the division unit later.
2. We will be finishing up Number the Stars. The focus is writing a character sketch of Annmarie.
We will also be doing grammar and spelling activities. The new list words will be posted on the SpellingCity link. Its unit 8.
3. Our Science unit is Force and Simple Machines. This will be as much hands on as possible. We will be doing activities on Friction and more on Force.
4. I asked students to create Scratch accounts before Christmas. I am hoping to soon use this. Hour of Code is a great link for coding at home. The link is at the bottom.
5. Please log into Tinkercad. Click on the above link and type in your nickname. This will be your initials and ges. Here is an example for my nickname: wdges I have a session booked with Brilliant Labs for February. I plan to have all students design an object using Tinkercad and then print it using a 3D printer. This session will teach us the basics of design and printing. If login is a problem we will do it in school this week.
6. The HSRC has continued. This week the doctors interviewed a Newfoundland soldier as he was travelling to go to the war. Ask them how this was done and what was learned. Ask, What was the soldiers nickname?" and "What was wrong about his uniform?" Ask who is AWH and ask how they discovered it was Arthur William Hill? and "Where were the post cards sent from?"
7. Students can now log into Prodigy Math. Click on the above link and then click on the Google button.
Friends For Life With Ms. Doyle
GES Studios Presents "Number the Stars"!
Science - Forces Acting on a Bridge!
HSRC - Another Package from Byron and another team meeting!
The Company Logo
Historical Science and Research Company - The Book has Arrived!
Below are two fantastic links to videos for every aspect of school, all the way from kindergarten to University. It has hundreds of teaching videos for just about every topic. It is free and are very well done. Check them out!